What is the Disability Support Pension?

The Disability Support Pension (DSP) is a payment from Centrelink for people who have a permanent disability or medical condition that prevents them from working more than 15 hours a week.  

Many people apply for the DSP on their own or with help from a family member, friend, or support worker.  

Applying for the DSP can be overwhelming, but there are lots of resources to help you with the process.

If you think you qualify for the DSP we recommend you consider the following tips:

  • Visit DSP Help. DSP Help is a great resource, it takes you step by step through the process of applying for the DSP. We recommend that you go through all the steps before you apply to make sure you have everything you need.   
  • If you need help in Easy English. The DSP & Me is helpful.
  • Getting the right medical evidence is very important.
    • People are often rejected for the DSP because their disability has been assessed as not meeting the requirements for a successful applicationThis may be because the right medical evidence has not been provided. The Medical Evidence Bot at DSP Help can help you and your treating medical team prepare the evidence for a DSP application.  
    • Social Security Rights Victoria (SSRV) has pre-written medical reports in their (DSP) Toolkit which can help your doctor prepare a report for your DSP application.
  • Unfortunately, many DSP applications are rejected. It is common to apply more than once before being approvedIf you don’t get the DSP the first time you apply, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try again.   

Getting Help

We understand that applying for the DSP can be tricky. DRC Advocacy can help guide you through the process in the following ways: 

  • You can call or email us with your questions. We may be able to answer them quickly, and you can continue with your application independently.
  • You can ask DRC Advocacy for specific assistance with your DSP application if:
    • You have previously applied and been rejected;
    • Your English is limited; or
    • You are finding it too difficult to complete the application and have no one to help you
  • SSRV is also able to provide phone advice to anyone living in Victoria with Centrelink issues, including the DSP.

Contact DRC for DSP Support: Fill out our contact form here or call us on 9671 3000